Monday, August 11, 2008

Thoughts About P90X 11 Months Later

So a lot of folks have been looking at my P90X posts this summer and for the most part I think if you take the time to look through them they speak for themselves but I thought I'd offer my take on the program now and give some input on which posts about my experience I thought might offer the most information.

I suppose one thing I'd want to know right off the bat is how is my weight/fitness now? When I started the P90X program in September 2007 I had already lost about 10 pounds and my weight at that point I was 164 pounds. Now I weigh 154 pounds. Aside from losing the weight and being able to keep it off, P90X allowed me to get back into triathlon training and racing faster than if I'd not used the program. I was not only able to build strength but I was also able to build my base endurance up in the process. P90X is also very, very core intensive. For this reason if you look around the internet you will see not only dramatic changes in weight but also huge changes in posture. Personally for the better posture alone P90X is more than worth the money and effort you will put into it if you chose to purchase the program and use it.

The nutrition plan that comes in the program is also very sound and well thought out. If you take the time to study it and adjust it to your personal needs and situation, you will find this is where your most visible results will come quickly. Without the diet you will get much stronger, but chances are you won't see the visual results P90X is so famous for. I also believe how we choose to eat affects not only how we look in the mirror, but how we ultimately think and behave. When we eat better, we are better.

Currently I still use the P90X workouts 2-3 times a week depending on time, timing (am I racing that weekend), and fitness goals. The workout is portable if you have a set of resistance bands. This summer I used P90X to stay in shape while on trips to California and Washington D.C. I plan to use the full 90 day program again during my off season. Where I decide to position it will depend on if I also plan to use the P90X + program in addition to P90X or not.

Finally, I found the results I got varied depending on whether I was using the resistance bands or the weights. The bands, I think give a type of strength that is present throughout the full range of motion of the exercise. You will look toned. The dumbbells will give you a higher top end strength wise and you will get more definition more quickly.

If you just want a quick overview of how the program is structured check out these two links:
Week 1

Week 1 Caveat

If you just want to know how the story ended, check out this link:
Final Thoughts on P90x

If you want to see pictures of what I look like now compared to what I looked like when I started, check out this link:What I look like now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
We're running a video campaign on behalf of Nike who are looking to appear on sites like tritrainingfrenzy.blogspot.com,
and I'm enquiring if you would be interested in posting the film, which is targeted at your readers.
The film is about Kelly Sotherton the British Heptathlete in a Nikelab to prove her belief in herself.
We are looking at a live date very soon, please see the clip here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RK74kMVnQ

Please let me know if you're interested in this opportunity.
Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon
best regards

Phil Snelgrove

Email- contact@the7thechamber.com

Anonymous said...

Good job Ace! I am a trail ultrarunner in training for my 4th & 5th ultra races (50k & a 50 Miler).

In addition, I just started P90X this week in hopes of increasing my upper body strength and increasing my endurance. On top of starting P90X this week, I've continued with my daily runs. I run about 40-50 miles per week which includes a long run usually between 3-5 hours.

So, I was quite enthused to read your blog on P90X and read that you continued your tri training while doing P90X.

I'll admit during my first two runs this week, I felt tired from the P90X workouts. But, still in my first week, I can immediately feel the positive effects of P90X.

Good luck in your future races...

Anonymous said...

I've tried this P90x program and it was really perfect. I have a great body now and my heart rate was turning good so far. So this p90x is not just after on a great body but also on your health