Thursday, October 4, 2007

P90X Week 6

This week did not go as planned at all. I only got in 3 P90X workouts. Each week I shoot for 5. But I also try to get 3 bike, 4 swims, and 2 runs. Almost none of this happened. "Why not?" you might ask. Did I get sick? NO. Work get in the way? NO. Death in the family? NO.

No I didn't do my workouts because I brought a 5 gallon glass bottle of water into the house and as I was doing so I smashed my knee into the wall with a loud, "WHAM!!!!" The whole house shook. It was so hard and so loud, I almost didn't want to look down. I remember when I was playing basketball in school and two guys went knee to knee it sounded something like that. The swelling on one guy's knee grew to the size of a grapefruit. It wasn't pretty. He had surgery and wound up sitting out the season. The thought of surgery and rehab also was not a welcome one. I sort of use my knees a lot. So when I looked down and saw swelling only the size of a quarter I was relieved. The spot was painful but not when I walked. Cycling, however was another story. The pain wasn't bad, but it was noticeable.

So in the interest of healing I stopped working out on Wednesday. I did the whole RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) treatment. Although in retrospect compression probably was overkill. I also went to my acupuncturist. Twice. And both times completely forgot to mention the knee and had her work on my left achilles tendon. The pain goes away when she inserts needles into points that stimulate my liver and kidneys. Go figure?

No comments: