Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Today Was Nothing Special

Today wasn't anything special. I swam with the crew at T3 at 11:45 this morning. Some days I really feel like rocking my swim workouts but today I really felt as if I was barely surviving the sets. Especially the sets where I am forced to use swim aids. So many other people speed up when given paddles and pull buoys but unfortunately I am not one of them. I don't even really speed up when I put on fins. I've thought a lot about this as I've been lapped in the pool and have come to the conclusion that these aids really through off my feel of the water. I think they also throw off my body position and rotation and just make the whole swimming motion unfamiliar.

Case in point today's swim workout was largely aided. And I largely struggled. I got lapped in every set. Until the aids came off and we had to do a straight 800m. Of course I went last in the lane because everyone had been passing me all practice. Except for this one set. On this single set I caught the two swimmers ahead of me even though they each started at 10 second intervals. Take away. At least I don't totally suck at swimming. I just suck at swimming with swim aids.

At any rate, after swimming I fueled up on lunch which consisted of some vegan chili and my daily serving of spirulina and chlorella. At 3:00 I went for a 7 to 8 mile run. I'm not sure why but my heart rate was a bit up today prior to the run. It was also a bit high for the pace I was holding as well so I'm going to get to bed early tonight and see if more rest addresses it. If not I'll watch my diet in the coming days more closely.

No comments: