Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday Is In The Book

Not much to report here. Had a solid day of training. No classes today so this was all about me. I will say yoga was intense. There aren't many times these days in a yoga class that I "cry uncle" because the intensity is unbearable. But today I was singing it and I just flat out quit more than a few times. It was very humbling. But that is part of learning to listen to your body and know your limits.

The entire class focused on Garudasana or Eagle Pose. As much as I'd like to say there are benefits to this pose for triathletes, I'd have to say any such benefit found in the pose is subtle at best. Eagle pose has you wind your legs like a twisting vine by taking the front thigh over the back leg and hooking your foot around your calf. Then you squat on the standing leg and balance as the arms are entwined in a similar fashion. A couple of poses with this as a focus and my shoulders start to scream. A whole class like this and I'm in some serious pain/distress. And as much as I love yoga, I am a triathlete through and through so, I have no problem watching a class pass me by in order to protect my body by keeping my larger objective in mind.

After yoga I had lunch with some friends, took a nap and then went to ride my bike. Tuesdays are usually a steady state ride focusing on maintaining consistent power. Today's ride lasted for two hours. I am seeing some gains in fitness from this ride since I changed the route to include a gradual climb that lasts from 7 to 9 minutes depending on gearing and the wind. Over the course of the ride I averaged an even 20mph with a max HR of 150 and an average HR of 135.

No comments: